2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2020 7:24 AM by R. Mark Binderman

    How to obtain Navy service number of uncle

    R. Mark Binderman Newbie

      I want to obtain my uncle's World War II naval records but I do not have his service number.  If this is necessary to make a request for the Archives, how can I find that number?  Thank you.

        • Re: How to obtain Navy service number of uncle
          Holly Rivet Tracker

          Dear Mr. Binderman,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          Although the service number is extremely helpful, the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) staff still can conduct a reasonable search for Navy Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF) without it. Please provide the following information: his separation information, as that is how the records are organized; the date of separation (the Navy classified separations prior to September 1947 as WWII); if he separated as Officer or Enlisted; if you know if he went into another branch of the military after his Navy service; include his full name as well as date and place of birth; place of enlistment or residence; and names of close relatives also are helpful in verifying that the OMPF located belongs to your relative.


          Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002. You also may fax the form to 314-801-9195. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Due to the coronavirus public health emergency, the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals which may be faxed to 314-801-0764.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!



          Holly Rivet

          1 person found this helpful