3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2020 11:22 AM by Jason Atkinson Branched to a new discussion.

    Seeking a list of Purple Heart recipients for WWII soldiers


      Is there a list of Purple Heart recipients for WWII soldiers in the US Army?

        • Re: Seeking a list of Purple Heart recipients for WWII soldiers
          Nalia Warmack Wayfarer



          Although this is not a complete list of Purple Heart recipients, it has thousands in its collection:


          You can filter for the branches of Army and Army Air Force as well.


          Hope this helps.

          2 people found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking a list of Purple Heart recipients for WWII soldiers
            Jason Atkinson Guide

            Dear Mr. Manning,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

            We are unaware of a single, official, comprehensive list of Purple Heart recipients for World War II. Some sites such as those linked by Ms. Warmack and Ms. Lane have put together unofficial compilations, however they are incomplete.


            The awarding of Purple Hearts was a decentralized process and there is no single collection of records for purple heart award files. General orders awarding Purple Hearts are typically found in individual unit records or the records of the military hospital where the soldier was treated. These orders typically consist of a list of soldiers receiving the award, however they do not contain details of the nature of the injuries or the circumstances in which the injury was received.


            Award Cards, 1942 - 1963 in the Records of the National Archives and Records Administration (Record Group 64) include cards for Purple Heart recipients for the US Army Air Force, many of which have been digitized and may be viewed online using the Catalog. However, these records do not cover the rest of the US Army.


            If you are researching the awards of a specific soldier, we suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Army and who were separated from the service prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin can also use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            Due to the coronavirus public health emergency, the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals which may be faxed to 314-801-0764.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.


            The OMPF, if it survived the fire intact, should include a list of awards received by the soldier as well as citations for the awards received. Once you have received this information, you can post a follow-up question here on History Hub or contact the National Archives via a contact form to request assistance with locating the general order for the award.


            We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!


            4 people found this helpful