1 Reply Latest reply on May 29, 2020 8:21 PM by Rebecca Collier

    Seeking pension records from War of 1812


      I'm looking for a pension record for an African American officer granted a field commission during War of 1812. What's the best way to get this information?

        • Re: Seeking pension records from War of 1812
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

          Dear Ms. Pease,


          Thank you for posting your requests on History Hub!


          We searched the National Archives Catalog and located 8 series in the Records of the Department of Veterans Affairs (Record Group 15) that include 1812 pension files and index. The records have not been digitized. For access to these records, please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          Many of the pension files have been digitized by Ancestry. In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the National Archives has partnered with Ancestry to make the vast majority of their NARA-digitized holdings freely available to the public. Anyone with Internet access may create an account, access NARA records, and use other Ancestry resources, such as their educational offerings and family tree-maker application. For more information see Ancestry’s announcement -- “Free At-Home Education Resources From Ancestry® and Access to Nearly 500M National Archives Records”.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!


          2 people found this helpful