1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 2, 2020 2:02 PM by Holly Rivet

    Seeking my great-grandfather's military records


      I found my great grandfather's basic records at aad.archives.gov but as I said, It's very basic information. Is there a way to find more extensive records, such as what wars he was in, where he was deployed, if he died in a war, and what branch he served in?

        • Re: Seeking my great-grandfather's military records
          Holly Rivet Tracker

          Dear Ms. Bongiovanni-Blum,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs  for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. These files contain biographical information such as date of birth, residence at time of enlistment, names of family members, prior education, and correspondence.  Additionally they include service information including service and training locations, rank changes, citations, awards, etc. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued.


          The record you found on the Access to Archival Database is most likely from the World War II Army Enlistment Records. If this is the case, he served in the Army.  Please use his Army Serial Number located within the AAD enlistment record in your request.  Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002. You can also fax the form to 314-801-9195. Veterans and their next of kin can also use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Due to the coronavirus public health emergency, the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals which may be faxed to 314-801-0764.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.


          We hope this is helpful!



          Holly Rivet

          2 people found this helpful