1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 2, 2020 9:29 AM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking court records regarding name change


      My great uncle changed his last name from Sarnosky to Molly sometime between 1935-1942.  No one seems to know why.  They were living in West Virginia at the time.  His WWII draft registration in 1942 has the new name.  Would there be court documents somewhere that would shed some light on this?  Also, why would the Social Security Administration actually give him a new SS number?  When I got married and changed names, I did not get a new SS number.  Any thoughts on how to research this?