1 Reply Latest reply on May 22, 2020 11:12 AM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking when someone served


      how do you find out what year someone served?

        • Re: Seeking when someone served
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

          Dear Ms. Stephens,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces during most of the 20th century are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Air Force personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. If there is anything requested by the form that you do not know, such as years of service, you can leave this information blank or give rough estimates, however the more information you provide, the easier it will be for NPRC staff to locate the correct records. For those that separated after 1958, certain information in the records is not available to the general public without the written consent of the veteran or his next of kin.  For more information see Request Military Service Records.


          Due to the coronavirus public health emergency, the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals which may be faxed to 314-801-0764.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.


          If the person separated from service during the 1990s through the present, his OMPF may still be with his branch of service.  Please see Locations of Service Records for details. If you are uncertain about exactly when the person separated from service and you think he may have separated after the cut off date for the records being in NPRC custody, you can send copies of the SF-180 to both NPRC and the branch of service.


          If the veteran enlisted in the Army between ca. 1938 and 1946, there may be a record for him in the database World War II Army Enlistment Records which is available via AAD (Access to Archival Databases). Be aware that there are gaps in these records.


          If the veteran died in 2010 and prior, there may be a record for him in the U.S., Department of Veterans Affairs BIRLS Death File, 1850-2010 which may give dates of service.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!