4 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2020 9:25 AM by joan stachnik

    Seeking great-grandfather's service in WWI


      I'm looking for information on my great-grandfather. He served in WWI, Fort Riley, in the Exceptional Medical Replacement Unit #47. His Service No. 980554, and his rank was Private 1st class Medical Corps. He was from Pleasanton, NE.

        • Re: Seeking great-grandfather's service in WWI
          Elliot Schneider Guide



          Do you have anymore information such as a name, DOB, many sites available to help search for information.



          • Re: Seeking great-grandfather's service in WWI
            joan stachnik Tracker

            Hi Nancy, there was a similar question posted last year (Aug 28, 2019), regarding Fort Riley and the Exceptional Medical Replacement Unit #47. I've copied the question and response below. It may be of some help in your search. Also, as per Elliot's suggestion, you may want to share more information about your great grandfather.


            Wondering if the unit could have been Expeditionary Medical... rather than Exceptional Medical... 


            The Office of Medical History (https://history.amedd.army.mil/booksdocs/wwi/volisgo/Sec2Ch12.html ) has a short description of replacement medical units during WWI (Fort Riley is also mentioned on that page):


            Replacement units.—In view of the numerous casualties to be expected  among the personnel of sanitary units attached to combatant troops during active operations, provision had to be made for supplying men to fill the vacancies which would exist among such formations. To accomplish this replacement, units were formed, consisting of 2 officers and 250 men each.28 These units were organized at the various medical training camps and dispatched overseas as promptly as the men could be procured and transportation was available. During the continuance of the war, 56 such units were actually sent to the American Expeditionary Forces.28 There was also a necessity for the transfer of additional officers abroad to replace those who for various reasons had become unavailable for further service. Parties of officers from the medical officers' training camps were constantly being ordered to France for this purpose. The number of officers who were thus transferred, unattached to medical units, is not available, but totals a large number.




            I have the following information about a WWI Veteran who may have been my grandfather—name: Fred Chubatei serial number: 3447148 Rank: PVT 1cl MD Unit/Organization: Camp Hospital #45 ; Fort Riley Exceptional Medical Replacement Unit #47. Is there anyway for me to find his service records?


            Reply from Ms. Collier:


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            We searched the National Archives Catalog and located a series titled Records of Camp Hospitals. 1917-1919 in the Records of the American Expeditionary Forces (World War I) (Record Group 120) that includes Camp Hospital #45. We were unable to locate records of the Exceptional Medical Replacement Unit #47. We also searched the Records of the Office of the Surgeon General (Army) (Record Group 112) and the Records of U.S. Regular Army Mobile Units (Record Group 391) but unable to locate records of the Exceptional Medical Replacement Unit #47.


            If you haven’t already, we suggest that you request a copy of your grandfather’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1955 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.