1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 17, 2020 8:46 AM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking right-of-way lease with B&O Railroad in late 1800's


      I am looking for a right of way lease, signed in the late 1800's between George Coffey and the B&O Railroad. It existed in 1982. My father called (CSX, I think)  about a property matter involving a fence along the border of us and them that needed replaced. The lease was pulled and the matter was resolved. He claims one of his biggest regrets was not asking for a copy of it then. I have a feeling that particular one is probably impossible to get a hold of, if it even exists. Our best hope is to try and find a copy of it recorded somewhere in an archive. Thank you,

        • Re: Seeking right-of-way lease with B&O Railroad in late 1800's
          Jason Atkinson Guide

          Dear Ms. Foran,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

          We searched the National Archives Catalog and located Land Acquisition Forms, 1914-1939 in the Records of the Interstate Commerce Commission (Record Group 134). If the right-of-way lease existed from the late 1800's to 1982 it potentially could be recorded there.  For access to these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at Archives2reference@nara.gov


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2.

          A record of the right-of-way lease may exist in files of the local government organization tasked with maintaining real estate and property rights records. This varies from state to state. In many localities, it is the county court, county clerk, or country register. There may also be records in your state archives. Another option is to contact CSX and ask if they have a copy or know where one is on file.


          We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!