1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 17, 2020 8:37 PM by Thomas Richardson

    Seeking personnel, pay, TDY & flight records while in Vietnam


      I need to get proof that I did TDY duty in Vietnam during 1967-1968. Where do I get my personnel, pay, TDY and flight records during this time period?

        • Re: Seeking personnel, pay, TDY & flight records while in Vietnam
          Thomas Richardson Navigator

          Dear Mr. Wieda,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          Official Military Personnel Files (OMPFs) for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. Many Army and Air Force personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, but proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy & Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected. Flight records of separated military personnel are collected at the time of separation by transfer point personnel.  These along with the personnel, medical, and dental records are retired to NARA's National Personnel Records Center. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Or you may apply online at https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/.


          Unit records in our custody do not include the record of temporary duty (TDY) assignments for individuals.  Under normal Department of Defense records management procedures, such documentation would be destroyed after initial administrative use.  A copy of these records should have been placed in your Official Military Personnel File.


          Due to the coronavirus public health emergency, National Archives research rooms and museums are closed to the public until further notice and the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals which may be faxed to 314-801-0764.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.


          For questions about pay for Army personnel (active duty/reserve/guard/separated), Air Force personnel (active duty/reserve/guard/separated), or Civilian personnel, please contact the Defense Finance & Accounting Services (DFAS-Indianapolis), 8899 E. 56th Street, Indianapolis, IN 46249-0150. The DFAS web site is http://www.dfas.mil/.


          We hope this is helpful.

          1 person found this helpful