1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 16, 2020 9:57 AM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking Vietnam veteran, J E Cox


      I am looking for J. E. Cox (I think) Service No. 2404304 or 2409304 who served in Vietnam from 1967-1868 in the 1st Marine Division MP's. I have his MP armband and like to get it to him and maybe find out how I got it.

        • Re: Seeking Vietnam veteran, J E Cox
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

          Dear Mr. Pickett,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

          The National Archives does not have the present addresses of former service personnel or their survivors on file.  The Federal agency most likely to have such addresses is the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). The VA can forward a message from you to the veteran, providing the veteran has filed a claim with VA, and they have an address on record. To forward a message, please write your message and place it in an unsealed, stamped envelope. Also include a note to the VA explaining who it is you are trying to reach and add as much identifying information as you have. Place all of this in another envelope addressed to the nearest Veterans Affairs Regional Office (you can find the address at https://www.va.gov/directory/guide/home.asp). If the veteran is in their records, your message to the veteran will be sealed and the envelope addressed to the address they have on file for the veteran. Please note that the veteran may not have informed the VA of a change of address, so they cannot guarantee receipt of your message. If the veteran receives your note, it is then up to the veteran to contact you.


          Also, you may wish to contact the First Marine Division Association, the Marine Corps Veterans Association, and other veteran associations, as well as searching for veteran internet forums and social media sites with which J. E. Cox may be affiliated.


          We hope this information is helpful.