1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 25, 2020 11:59 AM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking for Maurice Hardy


      I'm looking for a Maurice Hardy middle initial could be a J or T. His military # 16320321 and served in WWII. I found something of his in my father's military things. I just want to know if he is still alive or has passed on. I would like a obituary if he passed. Thank you kindly.

        • Re: Seeking for Maurice Hardy
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

          Dear Ms. Jardine,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

          We searched the Social Security Death Index as well as the National Cemetery Administration’s (NCA) Nationwide Gravesite Locator and located multiple records of persons by that name but were unable to narrow it down to one specific person with the information provided. Also, the NCA’s locator does not include veterans buried in private cemeteries.


          We suggest that you request a copy of Maurice Hardy’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF) in order to gain more information about him that might assist in your research. OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Please note that the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) has suspended reproduction and digitization services until further notice due to COVID-19. Orders will not be serviced until operations can resume safely. Once operations resume, document reproduction requests will be filled in the order in which they were received. We apologize for any inconvenience.


          NARA does not have information about former service personnel or their survivors on file.  The Federal agency most likely to have such information is the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). The VA can forward a message from you to the veteran, providing the veteran has filed a claim with VA, and they have an address on record. To forward a message, please write your message and place it in an unsealed, stamped envelope. Also include a note to the VA explaining who it is you are trying to reach and add as much identifying information as you have. Place all of this in another envelope addressed to the nearest Veterans Affairs Regional Office. If the veteran is in their records, your message to the veteran will be sealed and the envelope addressed to the address they have on file for the veteran. Please note that the veteran may not have informed the VA of a change of address, so they cannot guarantee receipt of your message. If the veteran or his survivor receives your note, it is then up to the veteran to contact you.


          The National Archives does not have obituaries on file.  Please review the Library of Congress’s Chronicling America for information about locating newspaper back issues. Also, some commercial newspaper archives and genealogical sites offer access to various obituary collections to their subscribers.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!