1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 23, 2020 2:28 PM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking personnel records of Grandparents


      My grandmother said she worked at Kingsbury Ordinance Plant during WWII. My mother remembers living in Kingsford Heights in the early 1940's. How can I find out if my grandmother or grandfather worked there?

        • Re: Seeking personnel records of Grandparents
          Jason Atkinson Guide

          Dear Ms. Headley,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

          We suggest that you request a copy of her Official Personnel File (OPF). OPFs and medical information for individuals who worked for the U.S. government in a civilian capacity prior to 1952 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis, P.O. Box 38757, St. Louis, MO 63138. Please include the full name used during Federal employment, date of birth, Social Security Number (if applicable), name and location of employing Federal agency, beginning and ending dates of Federal Service. For more information, the web site is https://www.archives.gov/st-louis/civilian-personnel.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff.  As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgment as well as a substantive response to your reference request. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          The National Archives does not have personnel records for employees of companies contracted by the federal government.


          Also, the La Porte County Historical Society Museum may have some information about the plant, though they are unlikely to have personnel files of individual employees.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!