2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2020 4:35 PM by Theresa Chiodo

    Seeking information on desertion & arrest of Harry Lewis/Greenfield

    Theresa Chiodo Newbie

      I'm trying to track down information about my grandfather's military record.  I've been told he deserted the military, a guess is Navy or Coast Guard.  Per my father, his son, he was in the NY area when he deserted and was found/arrested while working at the Washington Navy Yard.  His name was Harry Herbert Lewis.  It is our belief that he was using the name Harry H Greenfield at the time of his arrest.  Which we believe was between 1915 and 1925.  Any suggestions on how to find out more information about our grandfather's military record.  We know very little about him, so I don't have a social security number.  The only solid information for hiim is a WWI Draft Registration Card, which shows his birth date as 24 September 1883 and my father, Harry Westley Lewis, as the closest relative.  It also shows my grandfather was living in Philadelphia, PA at the time his registration card was filled out.  Any idea how I can track down more information, based on the little bit of information I have?

        • Re: Seeking information on desertion & arrest of Harry Lewis/Greenfield
          Lisha Penn Pioneer

          Dear Ms.Chiodo,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          If he was in the Navy, we suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). (OMPFs) and medical records of enlisted men of the U.S. Navy who were separated from the service after 1885 and prior to 1958 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC.  You can also fax the form to 314-801-9195 OR view the record by visiting the NPRC Archival Research Room in St. Louis, MO. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          If he was in the Coast Guard, the Merchant Marine Personnel and Licensing Records dated prior to 1968 in the Records of the U.S. Coast Guard (Record Group 26) are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). Please contact RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov. Include the name, date of birth, dates of service, "Z" number, and date of death, if known, in your request.


          The proceedings of Navy courts-martial for 1799-1942 are in the custody of the National Archives at Washington - Textual Reference (RDT1), National Archives Main Building, 700 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20408-0001. For access to and/or copies of these records, please email RDT1 at archives1reference@nara.gov.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!


          1 person found this helpful
            • Re: Seeking information on desertion & arrest of Harry Lewis/Greenfield
              Theresa Chiodo Newbie

              Thank you.  I don't think I have enough information to request an OMPF for my grandfather.  I only have his name and a possible birth date.  No idea about service dates other than maybe before 1915.  And have no idea when he died or even where.  I have found some possible hits in the Marine Corps Muster Rolls and one Army reference.


              I will keep trying to find more specific information about my grandfather and then try for the military records.


              Thanks again.