1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 21, 2020 11:24 AM by Lisha Penn

    Seeking naturalization records of grandparents


      I am trying to find my grandparents' naturalization records. All migrated from Italy between 1900 -1925 to Connecticut and came through Ellis Island. Where can I begin to locate this information?

        • Re: Seeking naturalization records of grandparents
          Lisha Penn Pioneer

          Dear Ms. McGuire,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          If their naturalization took place in a Federal court, the naturalization indexes, Declarations of Intention (with any accompanying certificates of arrival), and Petitions for Naturalization will usually be in the National Archives facility serving the state in which the Federal court is located.  Connecticut Federal court records are maintained by the National Archives at Boston.


          To ensure a successful request with the National Archives at Boston, we recommend that you email them at boston.archives@nara.gov and include:

          • Name of petitioner (including all known name variants)
          • Date of birth
          • Date of entry to the United States (approximate)
          • Date of naturalization (approximate)
          • Place of residence at the time of naturalization (city/county/state)
          • Country of origin


          You may wish to review the National Archives Naturalization Records website for additional information.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!


          [Information provided by Elizabeth Burnes, Subject Matter Expert]


          1 person found this helpful