1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 29, 2020 8:49 AM by Lisha Penn

    Seeking records on Andrew Lesanskey


      Hello, I am looking for information  on Andrew Lesanskey (might be spelled Lesanski, except there is another Andrew Lesanski but was not in the military so don't want to get that confused). I know that he was from Mount Carmel, PA and served in WWI. His brother was Joseph Lesanskey (ski?) who was also in WWI. I am looking for really any records on Andrew but specifically what Service branch and his enlistment/discharge dates. Thanks

        • Re: Seeking records on Andrew Lesanskey
          Lisha Penn Pioneer

          Dear Ms. Stauffer,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series titled Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 in the Records of the Selective Service System (World War I) (Record Group 163) that are in the custody of the National Archives at Atlanta (RE-AT). For access to and/or copies of these records, please contact RE-AT via email at atlanta.archives@nara.gov.


          To seek the records of Andrew Lesanskey, please begin by requesting a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service prior to 1956 are in the custody of NARA’s National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA’s National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002.


          We searched Ancestry and located All Military Results for Andrew Lesanskey. There may be a fee for using Ancestry to access digitized records. However, you may view these records online at one of NARA's facilities for free via a NARA PC. For the nearest NARA location, please consult our web page at https://www.archives.gov/locations/.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!