2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2019 7:06 AM by Charles Carter

    1950 Census Data Request Procedure


      How can I formally request 1950 census data on my ancestors, in accordance with the 72-year rule?  From the website, I read:  "This "72-Year Rule" (92 Stat. 915; Public Law 95-416; October 5, 1978) restricts access to decennial census records to all but the individual named on the record or their legal heir."  Since I am a legal heir, I should be able to access their data.  Correct?  If so, how?  If not, why not?

        • Re: 1950 Census Data Request Procedure
          Jason Atkinson Guide

          Dear Mr. Carter,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          The information you seek must be requested via the Census Bureau's Age Search service. This service provides information about individuals from censuses that are still protected by the 72-year rule, but only to the named person, his or her heirs, or legal representatives. There is a Congressionally-mandated fee for this service. Individuals interested in requesting a search of their personal census records must complete and submit to the Census Bureau a form BC-600, Application for Search of Census Records, or a form BC-600sp, Solicitud Para Busqueda De Registros Censales. 


          The 1950 records will be open to the general public on April 1, 2022.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!


          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: 1950 Census Data Request Procedure

            Thanks for the response Jason!  Just what I needed.  Have a Merry Christmas!