1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 11, 2019 3:32 PM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking Service Records for father during Korean War


      I would really like to have my dad's service records from the Korean War. Could I have the steps I need to get there?

        • Re: Seeking Service Records for father during Korean War
          Jason Atkinson Guide

          Dear Ms. Rykyta,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          To seek the records of your father, please begin by requesting a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service prior to 1957 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.


          We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!


          1 person found this helpful