2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2019 9:21 AM by Malisa Simco

    Seeking my uncle's WWI and WWII records


      How do I find information about my uncle who served as a Marine in both WWI and WWII? He enlisted from New Jersey.

        • Re: Seeking my uncle's WWI and WWII records

          First off, gather as much information as you can about his service. Date/place of birth, dates and places of enlistments, duty stations (the US Census can help with that if he was on active duty during a census year), service number if you have it, rank, etc. The more information you have the easier it is to find the record.


          This is the website you start at - https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records

          You can download and print out a Standard Form 180 (SF-180). This is what you will use to request the records. The instructions will tell you where to mail or fax the form for the specific service branches and years of service. To get the SF-180, go to the following website:  https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/standard-form-180.html 


          Fill out the form as requested. I used an addendum sheet of paper to provide pertinent information regarding things such as alternate spelling of his name, the fact that he got married while on active duty so dependency status changed, etc.


          I just did this for two relatives - it took about 6 weeks or so to get the information. If they need additional information above what you provided, you will get a letter requesting that information.


          Hope  this helps!

          2 people found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking my uncle's WWI and WWII records

            Dear Mr. Aloia,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            To obtain military information of your uncle, we suggest requesting his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and medical records of officers and enlisted personnel of the U.S. Marine Corps who were separated from service after 1904 and prior to 1957 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC.


            We hope this is helpful! Best of luck with your family research!


            1 person found this helpful