1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 8, 2019 1:27 PM by Sylvia Naylor

    Seeking Guidance on accessing German Military Records


      Hello-  I am searching for German military records for a relative of mine that served as an officer in the German army from 1929-1945.  He served as a witness in war crimes trials against several high ranking SS officers in 1962 (Von dem Bach and Reinesfarth).  Which facility holds these records?  He served in the following units during the war:  236th Infantry Reg(69th ID), 58th Infantry Regiment (6th ID), an instructor at the Infanterie Schule V in Posen, and 416 Infanterie Regiment.  Where do I find regimental records for these units? Thank you in advance.

        • Re: Seeking Guidance on accessing German Military Records
          Sylvia Naylor Scout

          Dear Shannon Reck,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          The National Archives at College Park, MD has in its holding copies of German Armed Forces Personnel Files available on Microfilm Publication A3356.  Also, we suggest looking into the copies of the records on Microfilm Publication T315 “Records of German Field Commands: Divisions” as they may contain regimental records you are researching. These microfilm publications as well as a finding aid to both microfilm publications can be viewed free of charge in the Microfilm Reading Room at the National Archives at College Park, MD. 


          For more of German military information you may wish to contact the Bundesarchiv Abt. VI - Militärarchiv, Wiesentalstraße 10, 79115 Freiburg, Germany.


          For records of the trials against Erich von dem Bach-Zelewski and Heinz Reinefarth please contact the Bundesarchiv Außenstelle Ludwigsburg as the trials were undertaken by German authorities.


          We hope this is helpful.  Best of luck with your research!