1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 11, 2019 1:53 PM by Lisha Penn

    Seeking my father's military records during Korean War


      My father was in the U.S. Army Infantry Division when he fought in the Korean War.  I'm trying to locate his military records. Where do I start to find them?

        • Re: Seeking my father's military records during Korean War
          Lisha Penn Navigator

          Dear Ms. Christensen,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest you begin by requesting his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1955 are in the custody of NARA’s National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to the National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!


          1 person found this helpful