1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 16, 2019 9:05 AM by Malisa Simco

    Finding Christine June Whipland, emigrated to Australia 1985


      I am searching for Christine June Whipland, daughter of Peter P Whipland. Christine emigrated to Australia in 1985. In the National Archives Australia, I found her immigration papers, these have not been examined yet and thus cannot help me at this time.


      Christine is the daughter of radio operator Peter P Whipland who crashed in the New Guinea jungle on 27 July 1944 in a 418 Night Fighter Squadron B-25. All four crew members survived and were subsequently rescued by an international team (Dutch - American - Australian - Indonesian and Papuan). As I am researching this crash and rescue, I hope to find Whipland's daughter who might still have documents and pictures of her father during WWII.


      As she probably married in Australia and took the name of her husband, she disappears from view for me. Emigration papers in the US might give some clue where to search for her. Are there emigration records for people leaving the US? Thanks for the help.

        • Re: Finding Christine June Whipland, emigrated to Australia 1985

          Dear Mr. Kreuger,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          If Christine left the United States and gave up her US citizenship, there should be expatriation records that the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) would maintain. However, she would not have been required to give up her US citizenship, therefore, if she decided to maintain her citizenship status DHS will not have her records.


          If this is the case, it would just be her passport that would indicate her travel from the United States. It is also possible that DHS could have passenger manifests for vessels and airplanes departing from North America during the 1980s.


          Since Christine is still living and the emigration actions occurred so recently, it is unlikely that a third party would have access to any records that might exist.  We suggest you try submitting a Privacy Act Request Submission Form through the Department of Homeland Security.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!


          [Information provided by Elizabeth Burnes, Subject Matter Expert]