1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 5, 2019 10:30 AM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking Civil war rejected pension records



      I recently viewed a Civil War Pension file for James Morrison (Co F 2nd PA HA) Pension #316491. He was a Union soldier who apparently applied for an invalid pension on 19 Oct 1868, but was rejected and then the claim/file was reopened in 1885. In his pension file there is no paperwork from the original application in 1868. The only documents in the file are from the requests for increases in later years. My question is...where can I find the rest of the paperwork that I believe should be in the file?


      Thank you

      Dawn Carson

        • Re: Seeking Civil war rejected pension records
          Jason Atkinson Guide

          Dear Ms. Carson,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          Civil War military service and pension records are in the custody of the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1). Please contact RDT1 via email at archives1reference@nara.gov to request a search for additional records. In your email, be sure to be as specific as possible about which records you have already viewed.


          We hope this information is helpful.  Best of luck with your research!

          1 person found this helpful