1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 1, 2019 8:05 AM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking record of Samuel Calhoon, Indian Wars, 1812-1817


      I have a copy of a document from the State of Georgia, by his honor William Rabun, President and Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of this state, and of the Militia thereof, that states my ancestor, Samuel Calhoon, was appointed First Lieutenant ......of the fifth Regiment of the Cavalry on September 13th, 1817.


      I would like to know how I can get a clear copy of this document and I would like to know why his military service is not noted in any genealogy resources.  This copy originated from General Services Administration-Records of the Veterans' Administration, National Archives and Records Service War of 1812 bounty-land file of Samuel Calhoun (note the difference in spelling), BL Reg. 103 600-55.

      Thank you.  Marilyn McNay Robinson

        • Re: Seeking record of Samuel Calhoon, Indian Wars, 1812-1817
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

          Dear Ms. Robinson,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

          We searched the National Archives Catalog and located War of 1812 Pension and Bounty Land Warrant Application Files, ca. 1871 - ca. 1900 and Bounty-Land Warrant Application Files, ca. 1800 - ca. 1900 within the Records of the Department of Veterans Affairs (Record Group 15).  These records are in the custody of the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1).  Both of these series include records relating to applications for bounty land based on service during the War of 1812. While portions of each of these series have been digitized and made available online through the Catalog, neither series has been fully digitized.

          The Department of Veterans Affairs is the successor organization to the Veterans' Administration, which in turn is the successor organization to the various bureaus historically responsible for military pensions and land warrants. The document you describe would have been submitted by the veteran or his heirs to the relevant bureau at the time in support of a bounty land claim.

          The copy in your possession was created by the National Archives and Records Service. This was the name used by the National Archives when we were under the authority of the General Services Administration from 1949 to 1984. We are now the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA).

          It may be possible that newer technology has made it possible for us to provide you with a better copy of this document. To inquire as to whether this is the case, please contact RDT1 via email at archives1reference@nara.gov. Please provide all the information you have your ancestor’s service and about the document, and attach a scan or high quality photograph of your copy. Be sure to include any variant spellings. Specify that you wish to know whether they can provide a better copy.

          Alternatively, you may use the procedures outlined on our web page Requesting Copies of Older (pre-WWI) Military Service Records to request the entirety of any available military service, pension, and bounty land files for your ancestor.

          Also, because your ancestor served in Georgia militia, there may be relevant records in the Georgia Archives


          We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!


          1 person found this helpful