1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 17, 2019 1:58 PM by Becca Simons

    Seeking records for my Great-grandfather


      Hi everyone, thanks for reading me.


      Between 1909 and 1933, US sent troops (Most of them were Marines) to Nicaragua for several reasons. In 1925 my grandpa was born, his father was a US marine. He lived with my great-grandma for a few months during her pregnancy but It is not clear what happened to him, whether he returned to the United States or continued in Nicaragua. My great-grandma didn’t talk too much about their relationship, —I think because of the socio-cultural and political situation of that time—. A photo of them together was the only souvenir of that love story that never was, until eventually someone lost the picture, now we only have vagues testimonies about him.

      A couple years ago I started to look for information about him, without too much success though. Until very recently, I did a DNA test on Ancestry, and it seems I'm related to some folks from Louisiana that matches the last name of him: Middleton. However, many of them have not logged in a while, so it may take some time until I can get solid information. All I got:


      • 3rd–4th Cousin 217 cM across 6 segments

      • 3rd–4th Cousin 157 cM across 6 segments

      • 3rd–4th Cousin 119 cM across 4 segments

      • 3rd–4th Cousin 104 cM across 3 segments

      • And around 41 4th–6th Cousins with shared DNA between 33 cM and 20 cM.


      Visiting some public family trees on Ancestry, I believed that my great-grandfather was directly related to:


      1. Elbert Elijah Middleton
      2. Elbert Earl Middleton
      3. Fay Egan Middleton/Faye Egan Middleton
      4. John Richard Middleton


      However, I’m not sure how they’re related to my great-grandfather. According to testimonies, His name was Albert (which could be easily confused by Elbert). I’d appreciate any advice on where could I find more information.


      Thank you!!

        • Re: Seeking records for my Great-grandfather

          Dear Mr. Vasquez,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

          If you would like to find out more about your great-grandfather’s military service, we suggest that you request his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and medical records of officers and enlisted personnel of the U.S. Marine Corps who were separated from service after 1904 and prior to 1957 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. 


          We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!


          1 person found this helpful