1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 3, 2019 9:06 AM by Rebecca Collier

    Seeking photograph of Norce Sneed, Jr, Vietnam War


      I am looking for a picture of my brother who fought in the Vietnam War. He was drafted in 1969. His name is Norce C. Sneed Jr.  Sometimes he goes by Norris.

        • Re: Seeking photograph of Norce Sneed, Jr, Vietnam War
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

          Dear Ms. Upson,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          The "official" photos of individuals, taken by the military, are not considered to be permanent federal records by the respective military services and are not retained by the service. If the photo you are seeking still exists, it will most likely be found in the individual's Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). However, there is no guarantee the photo will be present.


          OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces after 1957 and prior to October 16, 1992 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army & Air Force personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy & Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.


          Photographs of various U.S. Army, Navy, and Marine Corps activities dating from 1940 to 2007 are in the custody of the National Archives at College Park- Still Picture (RDSS). Please contact RDSS via email at stillpix@nara.gov. The web site is https://www.archives.gov/dc-metro/college-park/photographs-dc.html.


          We hope this information is helpful.

          3 people found this helpful