1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 6, 2019 9:09 AM by Becca Simons

    How to determine if my grandfather was gassed in WWI?


      We have always heard stories about the sad last months of my granddad's life due to the lasting effects of chemical warfare used in World War I, specifically phosgene gas. He died when my dad was only 10 years old and my uncle was an infant, so my siblings and I never had the honor and privilege of meeting and getting to know him. I would like any records I can find and use all this info in my genealogy journey.


      Any suggestions on how to get these records/info are greatly appreciated and I would like to thank you so much for your consideration!

      Jan Aronson

        • Re: How to determine if my grandfather was gassed in WWI?

          Dear Ms. Aronson,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          An Official Military Personnel File (OMPF) should help you determine whether your grandfather was exposed to phosgene gas. Official Military Personnel Files and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1955 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. 


          Once you have the unit information, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck on your research!

          1 person found this helpful