Proving Involuntary Naturalization?

My Italian GGF, Giuseppe Belotte (sometimes spelled Bilotti or Belotti) naturalized in 1899, returned to Italy and married my Italian GGM, Sofia Zito (sometimes listed as Sophie or Sophia) in 1901 and returned to the US in 1902. They had my GM in NY in 1924.

In the census of 1925 in NY, Sofias naturalization is listed as 'through husband', so presumption is it was non-voluntary, and she never took any other steps to naturalize outside of marrying him.

What immigration or naturalization docs can I actually get to validate or refute this? I have Giuseppes naturalization in 1899, but can't find anything for Sofia, which is somewhat expected given the 'through husband' census status. Still, UNCIS and NARA don't necessarily have any documents prior to 1906, and so I would love any help in how to approach / any additional documents that might help?

Parents
  • Documentation a derivative citizen's citizenship depends on dates and actions, so it all depends upon how long Sofia lived and whether she took any action to obtain documentation of her derivative citizenship.  Women derived until 1922, and children continued to derive thereafter.  But it was not until 1929 that derivative citizens had a way to obtain a certificate of derivative citizenship issued in their own name.  

It appears Sophia lived long after 1929, through the Great Depression, World War II, and after.  So she had opportunities to apply to INS for a Certificate of Derivative Citizenship.  But did she do so?  Not everyone applied, but many did.  Especially women who:

• Needed public assistance (like Old Age pensions) during the Great Depression, or in the 1950s, 1960s
    • Wanted to vote in a precinct with strict rules about proof of citizenship
    • Entered the workforce (esp. during WW II when many jobs required proof of citz)

The only complete index to derivative certificates issued is with USCIS, so the only way to know if Sofia applied is to request a search of their index via the USCIS Genealogy Program.  If so, it would identify a Certificate File (C-file) number of the Derivative A series (i.e., a C-number with the prefix "A").  One would then have to make a separate request to USCIS for the file because it is paper, not digitized.  

• Documentation a derivative citizen's citizenship depends on dates and actions, so it all depends upon how long Sofia lived and whether she took any action to obtain documentation of her derivative citizenship.  Women derived until 1922, and children continued to derive thereafter.  But it was not until 1929 that derivative citizens had a way to obtain a certificate of derivative citizenship issued in their own name.  

It appears Sophia lived long after 1929, through the Great Depression, World War II, and after.  So she had opportunities to apply to INS for a Certificate of Derivative Citizenship.  But did she do so?  Not everyone applied, but many did.  Especially women who:

• Needed public assistance (like Old Age pensions) during the Great Depression, or in the 1950s, 1960s
    • Wanted to vote in a precinct with strict rules about proof of citizenship
    • Entered the workforce (esp. during WW II when many jobs required proof of citz)

The only complete index to derivative certificates issued is with USCIS, so the only way to know if Sofia applied is to request a search of their index via the USCIS Genealogy Program.  If so, it would identify a Certificate File (C-file) number of the Derivative A series (i.e., a C-number with the prefix "A").  One would then have to make a separate request to USCIS for the file because it is paper, not digitized.  

Children
No Data