How do you authenticate a naturalization petition when the index shows only a Declaration of Intention, but there is a petition for citizenship issued on a specific date in 1905?

In a Pennsylvania Court of Common Pleas, my grandfather's naturalization petition shows that it was issued on a a specific date in 1905 and that he paid the required fee.  In 1928, he is a witness to another petitioner in the ED of New York and attests that  he is a naturalized citizen.  The notary answers that he proved this by showing his naturalization documents.

However, the Pennsylvania county index only shows a date for a Declaration of Intention.  The prothonotary is giving precedence to the index over the documents and issuing a "no record of naturalization" letter.  How do I change this?

Do I petition the court of jurisdiction with the above information and ask for a judgment on the naturalization document?

Any and all help is appreciated.

Parents
  • I'm not sure I understand your query.  Do you have a link to the Petition?  It should show the court it was submitted to, whether the Petition includes that he was actually accepted for citizenship.  Is the "prothonotary"... the clerk of the court.... in the same court as issued the Petition?  Is his Declaration in the same court as the Petition?  Do you have a link to his Declaration?   If so, the petition number should lead in their records to the petition and information he was naturalized.  

• Thank you for your interest.  I thought I would receive a notice of any response so I apologize for this delay.

The petition shows that he made his oath in open court, but the order of the court is not completed on the petition.  I believe that this was a necessary component of the petition and would assume that the naturalization was not completed for some reason, except for the later use (1928)  of his naturalization documents as a witness in the Eastern District of New York.  It was actually through the finding of his witness statement that we learned of a date of naturalization in the Court of Common Pleas, Uniontown, Fayette County, Pennsylvania. The notary taking the witness statement answered that the naturalization documents were shown to him.  The word "Issued" is noted on the front of the petition.

I am wondering if a search of the actual docket and record of the court on and around the date of 12/02/1905 would be the best next step. Thank you so much.

Alien Index for Tony Politony

DI and Petition for Naturalization, Tony Politony

• Thank you for your interest.  I thought I would receive a notice of any response so I apologize for this delay.

The petition shows that he made his oath in open court, but the order of the court is not completed on the petition.  I believe that this was a necessary component of the petition and would assume that the naturalization was not completed for some reason, except for the later use (1928)  of his naturalization documents as a witness in the Eastern District of New York.  It was actually through the finding of his witness statement that we learned of a date of naturalization in the Court of Common Pleas, Uniontown, Fayette County, Pennsylvania. The notary taking the witness statement answered that the naturalization documents were shown to him.  The word "Issued" is noted on the front of the petition.

I am wondering if a search of the actual docket and record of the court on and around the date of 12/02/1905 would be the best next step. Thank you so much.

Alien Index for Tony Politony

DI and Petition for Naturalization, Tony Politony

Children
No Data