I would like to find as much info on my grandfather as possible. Robert Clay Hammonds born July 1 1919, Sullivan, Tennessee.

I would like to find as much info on my grandfather as possible. He was enlisted in the army from 1940-1947 at Fort Oglethorpe Ga. I recently found my birth father a few years ago and would like to know more about his father. I don't have much information as I have been researching the wrong tree all my life. Robert Clay Hammonds born July 1 1919-1980 , Sullivan, Tennessee. I would gladly take any information you can gather. Thank you in advance. I have family tree info dating back to 1776 Polly Lewis my 5th great grandmother. I have no info on military or supposed native american and or cherokee history. 


    Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

    The National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) is the repository of the historical, non-current records of the U.S. Government. We provide information about our records, make them available in our research rooms, and provide copies of records for a fee. We are not staffed to provide general research or genealogical services. We also do not have prepared family histories in our holdings.

    Moreover, we do not have a simple way to help you research your own or another’s Native American ancestry. There is no single list of everyone of Native American heritage that we can consult. Rather, records of Native Americans in our holdings are scattered throughout multiple series, record groups, and even NARA facilities.

    To start your research on individual families found within our Native American records or for tips on genealogical research, please visit our website: Researching an Individual or Family | National Archives or Start Your Genealogy Research | National Archives

    Additional records can be identified by searching our online catalog ( https://catalog.archives.gov ). For more relevant results, we recommend that you use the “Advanced Search” feature and search for “75” in the Record Group Number/Collection ID field (which signifies the records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs).

    We hope this assists you with your research!

    Archives 1 Reference Branch (RR1R)


    Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

    If you would like to learn more about your grandfather’s military service, we suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF), which should be in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Air Force personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire at the NPRC, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002. Veterans and next of kin of deceased veterans also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. If there is any information requested by the form that you do not know, you may omit it or provide estimates (such as for dates), but the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file if it survived the fire. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests

    For a complete copy of a personnel file, in Section II, on the line for "Other" (Specify), write "Complete copy of every page of personnel file - not an extract."

    Archival OMPFs may also be requested by visiting the Archival Research Room at the National Archives at St. Louis. Please see the linked web pages for more information. Please email stlarr.archives@nara.gov for further assistance prior to making an appointment. 

    We also searched the National Archives (NARA) Access to Archival Databases (AAD) and located the World War II Army Enlistment Records database that includes three files related to individuals named “Hammonds, Robert C.” If you believe that any of these individuals is your grandfather, you may use the information in the file when requesting a copy of his OMPF.

    Additionally, since some veterans registered with their state or local veterans service agencies after they separated from service, we suggest that you contact the state or county veterans agency where your grandfather lived for additional assistance. Please review the NPRC web page Other Methods to Obtain Military Service Records for more information. Please note that registering discharge papers with local and state authorities was optional, so we cannot guarantee that these types of organizations will have his records.

    Finally, if he took advantage of any federal veteran benefits after his time in service, the US Department of Veteran Affairs may have files on him. To request a search for records, file a FOIA request with the Department of Veterans Affairs. Their FOIA website is https://www.va.gov/foia/.  All questions regarding VA’s FOIA procedures and fees may be emailed to VACOFOIAService@va.gov

    We invite you to continue the conversation with community members on History Hub, but should you have follow up questions for the staff at Archives II, please email us at archives2reference@nara.gov so that we can assist you further. 

    We hope this is helpful for your research! 


    Textual Reference Archives II Branch (RR2RR)

    [RR2RR 24-11242-RS]