How can I obtain a 1930 and 1940 census for a person who was not in the USA during those years. This is a requirement for my dual citizenship application.

I am in the process of applying for dual citizenship with the Miami Italian consulate. They are asking me to provide proof that my grandfather (who first came to the USA in 1956) never was in the USA during the 1930 or 1940 census. They want Original, Certified Notarized documents of these census years. I have only 30 days to supply them with this information or they will deny my application altogether.

Can someone please help me figure this out. 

Thank you,


  • @imsunflower6

    Thank you for posting your question on History Hub!

    This question is best answered by our reference staff. Please email our unit directly at so that we can assist you further. In your email, please include the information about your grandfather, as well as your contact information.

    We hope this assists you with your research!


    Archives 1 Reference Branch (RR1R)