How to search U.S. Census records?

What is easiest way to search U.S. Census records?

Parents
  • Also check  your local library to see if they subscribe to Ancestry.com Library Edition.  You can go to the library to do a search.  Ancestry has also made the library edition available to registered library patrons using their home computer during the pandemic.  I believe this is still available.  You will need a library card and to be registered with the library for online access.  See the library's website or call them to get more info.

While I use FamilySearch first, Ancestry is my go to second source.  They have a different search engine than FamilySearch and I like their US Census images better because they highlight the name you searched on within the document so it is easier to find.  As other users have said, both have good alternate name search engines and Ancestry can be somewhat customized.  Even then you may not find your ancestor on first try as many non-English names were butchered in spelling by the census takers and even a good search engine will fail.  Perseverance will be very helpful to you.

• Also check  your local library to see if they subscribe to Ancestry.com Library Edition.  You can go to the library to do a search.  Ancestry has also made the library edition available to registered library patrons using their home computer during the pandemic.  I believe this is still available.  You will need a library card and to be registered with the library for online access.  See the library's website or call them to get more info.

While I use FamilySearch first, Ancestry is my go to second source.  They have a different search engine than FamilySearch and I like their US Census images better because they highlight the name you searched on within the document so it is easier to find.  As other users have said, both have good alternate name search engines and Ancestry can be somewhat customized.  Even then you may not find your ancestor on first try as many non-English names were butchered in spelling by the census takers and even a good search engine will fail.  Perseverance will be very helpful to you.

Children
No Data