Obtaining copies of records U.S., Jewish Names in Selected State Department Files, 1910-1929

  1. How do I obtain copies of U.S., Jewish   Names in Selected State Department Files, 1910-1929?(I believe I have all the information required based on an Ancestry search.)
  2. Is there a fee?
  3. Can the request be made online?
  4. Generally, how long does it take to obtain a reply?
  5. What type of information is included in these files?
  6. What was the purpose of creating these files?

Thanks, Sarah



    Thank you for posting your question on History Hub!


    On Ancestry, the “U.S. Jewish Names in Selected State Department Files, 1910-1929” that is referred to on the website is not a single record entry but rather a database composed of selected records from the series General Records of the Department of State, Central Decimal Files, 1910-1929, Entry A1 205-A, Record Group 59. The database was compiled and is currently maintained by the Jewish Genealogical Society of Greater Washington. For more information about this database, please visit the JewishGen website: Jewish Names in Selected U.S. State Department Files (RG59).


    Please be aware that the records in the Central Decimal Files, 1910-1929 are arranged numerically according to the Department of State decimal classification scheme. In order to request information about a specific document, you will need to obtain the file number.


    There are currently three options for obtaining access and copies of records in our holdings: 


    1. You may visit the National Archives in College Park, MD in person. For information about scheduling a visit please see our website at https://www.archives.gov/college-park. For additional questions about visiting please email us at archives2reference@nara.gov.

    2. You may request a price quote for select documents. To see a list of our Reproduction fees, please visit our website at https://www.archives.gov/research/order/fees. Price quotes require your full name and your billing and shipping address. Researchers are asked to keep their request to 3 file units at a time. Should you wish to use this service please email archives2reference@nara.gov with your name, address and the records you seek. 

    3. You may hire a private researcher to perform research on your behalf. A list of private researchers who are familiar with National Archives facilities is available on our website at http://www.archives.gov/research/hire-help/index.html.


    We invite you to continue the conversation with community members on History Hub, but should you have follow-up questions for the staff at the National Archives at College Park, please email us at archives2reference@nara.gov, so that we may assist you further. 


    We hope this assists you with your research! 




    Textual Reference Archives II Branch (RR2RR)


    23-37096 sm