How to locate federal prison records?

How do I locate state court/criminal records and federal prison records that seem to have “disappeared”. These documents are on a physician practicing in Oklahoma but was charged with possession of coke in Indiana. He also did time hard time in Indiana. All this is documented on the Oklahoma Medical Board websites. Searches on the Indiana Court Network come up negative of criminal activity (sans speeding tickets) and the BOP website comes up negative as well. Any advice.

Thank you for your time!

  • Dear Ms. Hufferd,


    Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


    The majority of inmate case files were disposed of as temporary by the Bureau of Prisons. The National Archives has only a few series documenting the incarceration of individuals, which do not provide comprehensive coverage of all federal prisoners for any time period.  Without the name of the prisoner or dates of incarceration, we are unable to look for specific inmate files, but we did locate Criminal Case Files, 1928 - 1996 in Record Group 21 (RG 21) Records of the District Courts of the United States which includes records from the U.S. District Court for the New Albany Division of the Southern District of Indiana from 1928 to the present.  For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at Chicago (RM-CH) at


    Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff.  As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from the National Archives at Chicago.  We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


    We also suggest that you try this link from the Indiana State Government How to request public records for information about requesting court and criminal records for Indiana.


    We hope this is helpful.  Best of luck with your research!