I’m looking to find a picture of my grandfather in uniform that served in WWII. His name was Clifton E Talton he was in the army.

Searching for army picture of grandfather that served in WWII

  • How do I find a picture of my Grandfather in uniform during World War II? I’m not sure as an African
    American if was in an all black unit or if he served in a diverse unit?

  • Your grandfather probably served in a segregated unit. If I have found the right Clifton E. Talton, Sr. He enlisted at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas on April 24, 1943.

    He was married and working at a slaughterhouse. I couldn't find a photo but if you know how he looked, there are many pictures on the internet of groups of men.

    If your local library has access to Ancestry, you might find more info there.



    Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

    The "official" photographs of individuals are not considered to be permanent federal records by the respective military services and are not retained in a separate collection by the service. If the photograph you are seeking still exists, it will most likely be found in the individual's Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). However, there is no guarantee the photograph will be present. 

    We searched the Access to Archival Databases (AAD) and located the World War II Army Enlistment Records database that includes a file pertaining to Clifton E Talton  https://aad.archives.gov/aad/display-partial-records.jsp?f=3475&mtch=1&q=Clifton+E+Talton&cat=WR26&dt=893&tf=F&bc=,sl,sd Please use the information in this file when requesting a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF).

    We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1960 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002. Veterans and next of kin of deceased veterans also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. If there is any information requested by the form that you do not know, you may omit it or provide estimates (such as for dates), but the more information you provide, the easier it will be to locate the correct file if it survived the fire. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests. 

    Photographs of various U.S. Army, Navy, and Marine Corps activities dating from 1940 to 2007 are in the custody of the National Archives at College Park - Still Picture (RRSS). Please contact RRSS via email at stillpix@nara.gov.

    We hope this assists you with your research! 


     Textual Reference Archives II Branch (RR2RR)