4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2018 2:49 PM by Peter Rhoades

Looking for Mission Reports (especially the "Loading Lists") for 15th Air Force, 485th Bomb Group, 828th Bomb Squadron. WWII

Peter Rhoades Newbie

On several WWII USAAF web sites, I have seen "loading lists."  For Example

http://www.457thbombgroup.org/Narratives/MA198-748th%2028%20Feb%2045001(a).jpg

I am trying to find loading lists for the missions flown by the 485th Bomb Group's 828 Bomb Squadron out of Venosa, Italy during WWII.

I have received two rolls of microfilm from the

Air Force Historical Research Agency, 600 Chennault Circle, Building 1405, Maxwell Air Force Base, AL 36112-6424.

BUT, most of the pages are too faded to even read and, the few loading lists that are visible are for flights that failed to return-- either KIA or taken prisoner.

I have also purchased books from the 485th Bomb Group organization.  They have mission summaries, but most of them appear to be written by a single navigator and are not official.  And again, the only times loading lists appear is when the crew is missing.

Thank you,

Peter W. Rhoades

• Re: Looking for Mission Reports (especially the "Loading Lists") for 15th Air Force, 485th Bomb Group, 828th Bomb Squadron. WWII
          Rebecca Collier Navigator

Dear Mr. Rhoads,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

The U.S. Army Air Force units you seek are only available from the National Archives on microfilm. The contents are probably the same records that you already received from the Air Force Historical Research Agency. To double-check, please search the index to the Air Force History microfilm available at https://www.airforcehistoryindex.org/ and read the summary to make sure they do not duplicate what you have received.  For the National Archives in College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) to retrieve the rolls in their custody, RDT2 would need to have the IRISREF number listed and it must begin with A, B or C. Otherwise, they are still classified and RDT2 would be unable to make these reels available to you. 

The original paper copy from which the film was created is still in the custody of the Air Force Historical Research Agency and has been declassified. They also may have unit histories and other supporting documents available for the 485th Bomb Group. We suggest you contact the Air Force Historical Research Agency, 600 Chennault Circle, Maxwell Air Force Base, AL 36112-6424, for further information concerning these records. The web site is https://www.afhra.af.mil/

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • Re: Looking for Mission Reports (especially the "Loading Lists") for 15th Air Force, 485th Bomb Group, 828th Bomb Squadron. WWII
            Peter Rhoades Newbie

Thank you, Rebecca, for your prompt reply.

On the airforcehistoryindex, I have found few hits when searching for "0485"  or "0828" or Venosa Italy.  Mostly Aircraft accident reports.  The summary of these documents is "Unclassified" --yet the IRISREF numbers do NOT begin with a letter.

Are you recommending that I contact AFHRA a second time asking for further information?  If so, what specific terms or wording should I use?   Should I ask if the information I'm seeking is "CLASSIFIED?"   I didn't specify any degree of classification in my original request.

In your experience, is it unusual for mission report "loading lists" to still be classified after this many years.

Thank you again.

Peter

Rebecca Collier Navigator

Dear Mr. Rhoades,

Thank you for posting your follow-up request on History Hub!

We searched the Air Force History Index using “GROUP/0485/BOMB” and  “SQUADRON/0828/BOMB”. We located a listing of 14 documents for the 485th and 2 for the 828th. If you click on the pdf icon on the listing, the information you need to request the reel is provided. If you click on the highlighted number beside the icon, the same information is provided in a different format. At the bottom of that form to the left is a box containing this sentence --  For information on obtaining a copy of the document described above, please click here”. That will take you to another page that will explain what is needed to request the records from AFHRA. Only do this if you have not received these records before. They are all declassified so a FOIA request is not needed. RDT2 needs the IRISREF and the Reel numbers.

As stated in our earlier response, the AFHRA also has paper copies of all of the records on the  microfilm. If the microfilm you requested is unreadable, we suggest that you ask to see the paper. That may require that you go to Maxwell AFB to see them in person. Please keep in mind that not all mission reports included loading lists. It depended on the clerk what documentation was submitted with the report. Also, the AFHRA has other records that may be helpful to you such as histories and supporting documents.  

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                Peter Rhoades Newbie

Thank you, Darren Cole, for your very helpful email.

I repeated your Air Force History Index search using the slash "/" delimiters for GROUP/0485/BOMB and SQUADRON/0485/BOMB and found the entries you noted.

In those documents I found, unfortunately, the same microfilm spool numbers that were sent to me by AFHRA.

You have most likely saved me a trip to Maxwell AFB:  I suspect that the clerks of that time and unit did not type out exhaustive loading lists as you said.

So my research ends here.

Thank you, again,

Peter

1 of 1 people found this helpful