4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2018 10:24 AM by Michael Tomko

Photo of uncle working on plane during Korean War

Bruce Shealy Newbie

There was a photo of my uncle working on a plane during the Korean War printed in our local paper at the time and also a photo of him in his basic training yearbook of 1949.

Could I purchase photo copies of these if I provide more identifying information?

I would think both would be considered to be official air force photos.

Thank you.

• Re: Photo of uncle working on plane during Korean War
          Rebecca Collier Tracker

Dear Mr. Shealy,

Thank you for posting your request to History Hub!

Before we determine if a copy can be made, we would like to locate it first. Please provide us with his name, his unit designation, where his basic training was located, and a copy of the photo from your local newspaper, if possible.

Thank you!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              Bruce Shealy Newbie

Thank you for any help that you can provide.

Attached is a copy of the picture of my uncle working on a plane that I would like a photo copy of.

His name was Dalton Eugene Shealy, Service number AF15271369.  Enlisted November 30, 1948.

Basic training book which contains a photo that I also would like was titled “3345th Technical Training Wing,  Chanute Air Force Base, Chanute Field, Illinois 1949.”  The photo is in the 3364th Training Squadron section of the book.

Uncle working on plane during Korean War

Rebecca Collier Tracker

Dear Mr. Shealy,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub and for including additional information.

We searched the index to the Air Force History microfilm (www.airforcehistoryindex.org/) and located several records pertaining to the 3345th Technical Training Wing during 1948 to 1955. To search the index for yourself, please type this in the search field -- WING/3345/TECHNICAL.

Since the microfilm copies of operational records relating to the U.S. Air Force unit you seek are still security classified, the National Archives is unable to make these reels available to you. The original paper copy from which the film was created is still in the custody of the Air Force Historical Research Agency and has been declassified. For access to the paper records, we suggest that you write to or email the Air Force Historical Research Agency, HQ AFHRA/RSA, 600 Chennault Circle, Maxwell Air Force Base, AL 36112. The email address is AFHRA.NEWS@US.AF.MIL

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                Michael Tomko Scout

This is very interesting, since the records are still classified from the Korean War, perhaps a Mandatory Declassification Review? Classified beyond 50 years...