1 Reply Latest reply on May 16, 2018 7:00 AM by Alex Champion

Where can I find crew lists/manifests for steam ship Great Eastern as passenger ship and as cable laying ship?

Tom McCoy Newbie

Where can I find crew lists/manifests for the steam ship Great Eastern both as a passenger liner and, later as a cable laying ship?

• Re: Where can I find crew lists/manifests for steam ship Great Eastern as passenger ship and as cable laying ship?
          Alex Champion Adventurer

Mr. McCoy,

Since the Great Eastern was a private ship from a foreign country, the National Archives and Records Administration would not have crew lists or manifests unless they came into contact with US governance. To get answers from our resources you would need to take a different tack.

It seems that the United States did not extensively track ships’ crews until World War II. The earliest example we could locate was 1887.

If you haven’t done so already, we recommend consulting published materials and combing the footnotes for primary sources.

Best of luck in your research, and thank you for submitting your question to History Hub.

1 of 1 people found this helpful