8 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2018 12:01 PM by charles gregory

Morning Reports and General Orders of 587th Signal Company White Platoon for the period July 1967 thru July 1968?

charles gregory Newbie

Where might I find the Morning Reports and General Orders of my 587th Signal Company White
      Platoon for the period July 1967 thru July 1968?  The only medical and service records I have
      in my possession are devoid of any documents from July 1967 until March 1968 –
      a full 8 months of missing contacts with the base hospital and my command.  During that period, I was injured in three
      separate combat activities and attacked by a Nile Monitor Lizard while sleeping
      in our bunker. My platoon was under aerial siege for 3 days and ordered to
      sleep in protected structures until hostilities ceased.  My medical records do not show any visits to
      the 25th Medical Battalion Dispensary during that period and my service
      records show a promotion in Change of Duty MOS but no corresponding elevation
      in rank from SP/4 to SGT/E5.  My platoon
      commander ordered the MOS change because I was NCOIC of the base MARS radio
      station, which required a SGT level soldier.
      He provided me stripes as a temporary sign of my new rank until my
      uniforms could be tailored with new chevrons.

• Re: Morning Reports and General Orders of 587th Signal Company White Platoon for the period July 1967 thru July 1968?
          Ira Claves Wayfarer

The morning reports for those dates are still under Army control but in St. Louis, scroll down here for the process on requesting them. Those before 1960, archival ones, have to be researched in person but those after can be requested by writing.

https://www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-personnel/morning-reports-and-unit-rosters.html

• Re: Morning Reports and General Orders of 587th Signal Company White Platoon for the period July 1967 thru July 1968?
            Rebecca Collier Navigator

Dear Mr. Gregory,

Thank you for posting your request to the History Hub!

We searched the Records of U.S. Army Operational, Tactical, and Support Organizations (World War II and Thereafter) (Record Group 338), Records of the United States Forces in Southeast Asia, 1950-1975 (Record Group 472), and Records of United States Army, Pacific (Record Group 550) but were unable to locate records of the 1st Signal Company for 1967 & 1968.

However, we did locate records of the 1st Signal Brigade. The 1st Signal Company was assigned to this Brigade in April 1967. If you wish to have access to the records of the 1st Signal Brigade, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

Morning reports for Army units dated 1960-1974 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis.  Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.

We hope that this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                charles gregory Newbie

Ms. Rebecca Collier:

Your reply included the text "(Record Group 550) but were unable to locate records of the 1st Signal Company for 1967 & 1968.".

I did not ask for the records of the 1st Signal Company.

My request was, in order of military organization, for the following ...

587th Signal Company (SPT), White Platoon of the

86th Signal Battalion of the

1st Signal Brigade in support of the

25th Infantry Division

I am looking for the Morning Reports, Unit Orders, and General Orders of the 587th Signal Company (SPT), White Platoon from July 1967 through July 1968 in Dau Tieng, RVN.

New Request

Most likely I will need to review the medical records for me at the 25th Medical Battalion Dispensary for the same period of time from July 1967 through July 1968 in Dau Tieng, RVN.  I checked in there with combat injuries 4 times but those recordings are not in my files.

Thanks for your help.

Charles Gregory

Dear Mr. Gregory,

Thank you for posting your request to the History Hub! Yes, it should be the 587th instead of the 1st.

We searched the Records of U.S. Army Operational, Tactical, and Support Organizations (World War II and Thereafter) (Record Group 338), Records of the United States Forces in Southeast Asia, 1950-1975 (Record Group 472), and Records of United States Army, Pacific (Record Group 550) but were unable to locate records of the 587th Signal Company for 1967 & 1968. (I typed 1st in error).

However, we did locate records of the 1st Signal Brigade. The 587th Signal Company was assigned to this Brigade in April 1967. If you wish to have access to the records of the 1st Signal Brigade, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

Morning reports for Army units dated 1960-1974 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis.  Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.

1 of 1 people found this helpful

Dear Mr. Gregory,

Thank you for posting your follow-up request to History Hub!

We searched the Records of the Office of the Surgeon General (Army) (Record Group 112) and the Records of the United States Forces in Southeast Asia, 1950-1975 (Record Group 472) but were unable to locate the individual medical files in the records of the 25th Medical Battalion Dispensary, the 25th Medical Battalion or the 25th Medical Dispensary.

Again, the best source of documentation would be to check your unit’s morning reports. Morning reports for Army units dated 1960-1974 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis.  Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.

charles gregory Newbie

Ms. Rebecca,

In your latest reply, I quote ...

"Dear Mr. Gregory,

Thank you for posting your follow-up request to History Hub!

We searched the Records of the Office of the Surgeon General (Army) (Record Group 112) and the Records of the United States Forces in Southeast Asia, 1950-1975 (Record Group 472) but were unable to locate the individual medical files in the records of the 25th Medical Battalion Dispensary, the 25th Medical Battalion or the 25th Medical Dispensary."

Thanks for your effort.  I focused on the words "individual medical files" and wondered if I should ask for the Unit Records of the 25th Med Bn Disp.  The Disp may not carry all INDIVIDUAL records in their files, but they may have an item dated February 12, 1968 such as "numerous shrapnel injuries received today due to enemy mortar attack around noon in vicinity of the 587th Signal Company at mail call."   This type of information is not about INDIVIDUAL records but ascertains there WAS an attack on February 12, 1968 and soldiers were injured,  I view this information as a small step on my journey to prove six signal soldiers were injured in enemy attack and sought medical assistance at the 25th Med Bn Disp on February 12, 1968.

Thanks again,

Charles Gregory

Dear Mr. Gregory,

We searched the Records of the United States Forces in Southeast Asia, 1950-1975 (Record Group 472) and located a daily journal of the 25th Medical Battalion for February 12, 1968. At 1015, the journal indicated that "4 patients were admitted to the hospital and 3 were returned to duty." No units were listed. No additional information was located about that date in the records of the 25th Medical Battalion, the 25th Medical Dispensary, or the 25th Medical Battalion Dispensary.

We also searched the Records of the Office of the Surgeon General (Army) (Record Group 112) but were unable to locate additional records of those units listed above that pertain to events on February 12, 1968.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                                  charles gregory Newbie

Dear Ms. Collier,

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.!!

We are on the road to validation.  I sincerely appreciate your research and report to me.  Within the content of your reply, I can ascertain who the fourth soldier was that remained for care at the 25th Med Bn Disp on February 12, 1968.  My best friend was with me after mail call that day and he received the lion's share of the shrapnel injuries.  We other three signal soldiers did not have to remain for follow-up surgery since our injuries were not as serious.

Now, if I could just get the names of those four soldiers from my Morning Reports, I would be a "happy soldier".  I am awaiting a SECOND request for those company reports from NPRC / NARA.  Can you believe they committed 3 typos using my written request and searched for the wrong signal company and the wrong dates?  Yikes!

Again, Thank you so much.

Chuck Gregory