13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2018 2:21 PM by Karen Ellis

Civil War Pension Files

Karen Ellis Newbie

I found a Civil War muster roll for someone that could be a family member.  It's a common name and the year of birth is right, but I want to be sure it's truly a family member.  Will the pension files indicate last residence?  (No mention of state in the muster roll.) The muster roll indicates he was a deserter.  Will he still have a pension file?  I'm simply looking to confirm whether or not this person is member of my family tree.

• Re: Civil War Pension Files
          Elliot Schneider Adventurer

Mrs. Ellis,

Are you able to provide additional information, such as a name,  DOB, and place of birth. There are other list kept by the Provost Marshal General if he truly was a deserter during that time.

Elliot Schneider

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              Karen Ellis Newbie

Mr. Schneider,

Yes, for some information.  Name:  James Madison Sayres (aka Sayers).  DOB:  June 8, 1829.  Place of birth is Canada, but not sure where.  If the James Sayers in the muster roll is the same as my relative, he deserted his company.  This would explain a lot of things in his life....why his middle child was born in Canada and when he returned to the US again (New Hampshire), the census had inconsistent information on his age (yet his wife was always the same and correct info).  Any suggestions how I can confirm whether or not the man on the muster roll is my relative?

Do you happen to know his DOD. Looks like where he was born in Canada, then it looks like he may have joined the New York State Volunteer Army. I have another source that confirms he was an Officer of the NY Sate Volunteers and has a DOD ( 29 Oct, 1877). If you can confirm please let me know.

Also you can try contacting the following:

New York State Archives

11D40 Cultural Education Center

Albany, NY 12230

Thanks,

Elliot Schneider

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                      Karen Ellis Newbie

Dear Mr. Schneider,

Thank you for your time.  I, too, saw that information but do not think it is the same man.  My relative died June 19, 1897 - per his headstone in E. Concord,VT.   Below is the Muster roll I am trying to connect (or disconnect) to MY James Sayres.  His age on the roll (34 years) indicates he was born in 1829.  Does your information have a birthdate that can ID James Sayres?

This brings me back to my original question - would the pension files indicate a last known address or birthdate or spouse's name?

James Sayres Civil War Muster Roll

Report of DeceasedPension Record, showing was filed in CanadaMarriage Registers showing his marriage to Elvira

Karen Ellis Newbie

Dear Mr. Schneider,

I’m sorry but somehow I missed your response with all the wonderful documents!  Thank you!  However, I think it created more questions than answers.  (Genealogy always does!) 

1. It looks like the death certificate is the one from VT. Interesting how, once again, so little information is provided about him.
                              2. The second document you identified as the pension file.  Once again, little information and nothing that ties or breaks the tie between MY James Sayers and the other one.  It seems odd to me that it was filed in Canada with no spouse or children identified.
                              3. The third document made my heart skip a beat!  I had been pouring through church documents in Quebec, trying to find a record of their marriage and you found it!  Can you tell me which church this record is from?  Maybe they will have further information outside of the log.

Thank you for all the help you have provided!

--Karen Ellis

Karen Ellis Newbie

Mr. Schneider,

Can you please tell me which church this is? 

--Karen Ellis

Hello Karen,

I belong to another Genealogy website, it's called myheritage, it's a paid website. Was able to retrieve from their website. This was the only paid site I belong too, that had this information that I found related to your relatives. I believe that the uses information from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Have a wonderful holiday weekend talk soon.

Thanks,

Elliot Schneider

Karen Ellis Newbie

Thank you, Elliot.  I've heard of myheritage but didn't realize they would have more information beyond Ancestry.com.  But can you please tell me the name of the church from the file above, so that I can add it to my records?  Or does your source not indicate the church's name?

Sincerely,

Karen

Hello Karen,

Sorry for the late response. Did you know that your James M Sayeres also had a son named exactly the same and his son James was born in 1860-1919. Here is some information that may assist you. It's hard to tell what church they received this from within their logs, but they did mention this information, in which they were married  in the Talbot District, , Norfolk, Ontario. They also suggest this information to aid you in your search.

Archives of Ontario

134 Ian MacDonald Blvd
                                            Toronto ON M7A 2C5
                                            Canada
                                            416-327-1600

reference@ontario.ca

Thanks,

Elliot Schneider

Jenette Parish Adventurer

Hello Karen,

The pension files for the Civil War soldiers are located at the National Archives in Washington D.C. I took a look at the pension file index for your soldier's name on Fold3.com, a subscription package on ancestry.com. However, there are too many versions of James M. Sayers to discern which soldier is your relative. If you can determine the correct soldier and his pension index card, you may view the pension file in person or reproductions of records can be ordered from the National Archives online, click here.

Yes, pension files normally have an abundance of genealogic information. However, this is dependent on him or his spouse applying for a pension and whether it was approved. All pension record contents are variable dependent on the individual’s circumstance.

Here is another link from Family Search about the Canadian border crossings. A link to Canada border crossings on the National Archives website.

I  hope this information is helpful.

Jenny Parish

Karen Ellis Newbie

Hi Jenny,

Thank you so much for your time.  I have a lot of information on my relative, James M. Sayers.  Unfortunately, it seems the Civil War records don't provide a lot of identifying information.  For example, the record posted in History Hub shows his age.  But could there be another James Sayers with that same age?  Yes.  Same birthdates would be less likely.  I can provide birthdate, birth place is Canada (but I can't say where, specifically), wife's name, place and date of marriage, place of death, and children's names.  His wife was a reporter for a local newspaper on the border of New Hampshire and Vermont and she lived a long time - 1939.  Her story is even documented in newspaper articles.  But everything about James is a mystery.  My suspicion is that he went AWOL from the War and moved back to Canada for a while with his wife and children.  They had a couple more children in Canada, then moved back to New Hampshire (this part is fact).  The post-War censuses had glaringly different ages for him - never consistent.  This supports my belief he went AWOL and continued to cover his tracks when he returned to New Hampshire.  He passed away in 1897 and his tombstone specifically indicated his age at death:  68 years  .  There was almost no mention of his passing in the local papers in 1897. 

If he is the person whose information is shown in History Hub by Elliot Schneider, then I can continue my genealogical search for his parents in St. John, Canada.  If not, then I would need to resume searching in Guelph, Ontario, Canada where I have documented information of him living as a young man.

The border crossings links you suggested are dated after my relative's death.  Do you have any further suggestions, based on the information I provided you?

Sincerely,

Karen Ellis

Karen Ellis Newbie

Dear Mr. Schneider,

Yes, James Sr. is my 3rd great grandfather and James Jr. is my 2nd great grand uncle.  I will reach out to the Archivist in Ontario to continue my quest for information.  I live in California, so a trip to Ontario is not likely in my future, unfortunately.    Thank you again for your assistance - it is greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,

Karen Ellis