2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2018 8:27 PM by Sandra Vinnedge

My great uncle Pvt. August Lawrence Carlson was killed in WWI.  He enlisted in Kansas City, but I cannot find his unit, where he was killed (DOD Nov 1 1918), etc.  Any help would be appreciated.

Sandra Vinnedge Newbie

My great uncle Pvt. August Lawrence Carlson died in WWI Nov 1 1918 (born Nov 21 1890).  He enlisted at Kansas City but was from Bertrand, Phelps Co., NE.  I cannot find his unit, where or how he was killed.  Any information would be appreciated.

• Re: My great uncle Pvt. August Lawrence Carlson was killed in WWI.  He enlisted in Kansas City, but I cannot find his unit, where he was killed (DOD Nov 1 1918), etc.  Any help would be appreciated.
          Marie Taylor Wayfarer

Dear Ms. Vinnedge,

Thank you for reaching out to the History Hub. 

The information you seek may be contained in his burial case file (later called the Individual Deceased Personnel File or IDPF). Burial case files from 1915-1976 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis, ATTN: RL-SL, P.O. Box 38757, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002. Please contact them regarding access to these records.

You may also try requesting your great uncle’s Official Military Personnel File by submitting a SF180 to the National Archives in St. Louis. Please submit the completed form either by email to stl.archives@nara.gov or by U.S. mail. You also may use this email address for your IDPF request.

Another collection is the Initial Burial Plats for WWI American Soldiers, 1920-1920. This collection contains maps and other documents relating to the battlefield grave sites of WWI. That collection is part of the Caratographic Division at the National Archives in College Park. For more information about that collection and how to contact the archives, please follow this link: https://catalog.archives.gov/id/12007376

Good luck with your search, and thanks again for reaching out to the History Hub.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • Re: My great uncle Pvt. August Lawrence Carlson was killed in WWI.  He enlisted in Kansas City, but I cannot find his unit, where he was killed (DOD Nov 1 1918), etc.  Any help would be appreciated.
            Sandra Vinnedge Newbie

After I was able to locate August's serial number on his enlistment form from the Missouri state files, I contacted Cara Lebonick at the National Archives.  I supplied her with the information I had, she emailed me back for additional info, I sent the money required, waited for the money to clear  and just this week received the copies of the documents from August's files there.  After first contacting the National Archives it took about 6 weeks to get the copies, and it cost $20 (the minimum).  If I hadn't finally located his serial number from the state files (and this took awhile because he did not enlist in his home state), I don't know what would have happened.  At least his family now knows definitively that he was KIA from multiple gunshot wounds at the Meuse-Argonne offensive while serving in the medical detachment, 309th machine gun battalion, 78th division.    If anyone knows how to now apply for a Purple Heart for him, I'd appreciate hearing.  Now I have to get his status from died of disease to KIA in his hometown changed BEFORE the 100th anniversary of his death Nov 1, 2018.